fedora vs. Debian?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jan 19 12:49:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

One consideration might be whether you like the newest and latest
software.  Debian Stable is very stable, hence the name.  However,
there is only a new stable release every 1.5 to 2 years.  Debian
Sarge came out in June 2005 and the new stable version hasn't been
released yet.  This is great for a server environment since you only
have to deal with a major upgrade every couple years but might not be
good for a casual user who wants the latest and greatest.  Also it's
worth noting that the only Speakup kernel I know of in Sarge is
2.4.27 and it doesn't get security fixes.  If it does, I wouldn't
know anyway since I'm running 2.6.8, the latest 2.6 kernel in
Sarge.  Finally the Testing release generally doesn't get security
updates until right before the new Stable release and after the big
freeze.  Updates from Unstable go into testing after a day if marked
urgent but that's a day delay for security fixes.  I haven't used the
new Debian Installer so I can't comment.  I haven't used Fedora
either but I was very frustrated with the Red Hat installer when I
looked last.  Personally I think I prefer Debian packages better
because they have better dependency tracking.  It's very difficult to
really screw things up with Debian.  Red Hat uses RPM and I found it
more difficult to use.  Debian has a package pool while Red Hat
didn't last time I looked.