What version of Linux?

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 3 15:47:09 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard French" <twelvestrings12 at verizon.net>
To: "Linux for blind general discussion" <blinux-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 8:48 PM
Subject: What version of Linux?

>I have an old windows 98 machine I want to use as a mud server.
> What version of Linux should i use on it?
> I imagine I would need something older, because i heard that most newer
> versions of linux with screen readers need at least 256 megs of ram.
> The only time I would need speech is when I install linux and when
> installing and compiling mud code.
> I don't plan to do anything else with the machine.
> Thank sin advance for any suggestions.

I'm running the current version of debian on a 150 Mhz laptop with 56 Mb of
RAM and a 6 Gb hard drive.

Just about any version of linux will work if you don't install the GUI. If
you do a debian installwhen it gives you the screen to select software to
install, uncheck the desktop environment. It is right at the top and will be
one of only 2 things selected by default. The other is right at the end,
base system or something like that. Anyway, if you uncheck the desktop, you
won't install the X-window system and it will take only about 2 GB to
install.