backing up my linux system

Mike Gorse mgorse at mgorse.dhs.org
Sat Jun 16 19:10:00 UTC 2007

It isn't clear from your post what you want or to what medium you're
backing up (ie, a tape? Another hard disk? A remote machine?)

I'm not sure if I'm recommending this, but I simply have a file in my home
directory called backup which lists names of files and directories that I
can't recover.  Every once in a while I run something like
tar -cf mpgbak.tar.bz2 `cat backup`
and copy the resulting file onto another machine where I have an account.
But I'm not backing up my whole drive this way; only things that I
consider particularly important, and I am certainly missing some things...

Anyway, there are surely ways of doing this without using the GUI unless
you want to use the GUI, so I'd certainly recommend exploring whatever
options people have told you about and anything anyone else might suggest.

-- Mike Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.freeshell.org --