accessing my linux box via telnet

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Thu May 3 15:18:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Tim Chase wrote:

 > > even if you can't use ssh/putty, don't use telnet for login-sessions at
 > > all.
 >
 > If it's purely on a local wired network, it's not so bad.  I
 > still prefer encrypted connections.
agreed

 > Another alternative is to use a one-time password (OTP)
 > configuration.  This can safely be used across telnet, as the
 > password is used once and discarded.  I haven't set something
 > like this up under Linux, but it's pretty easy under OpenBSD.
true, but if you then would use s - to get a root-shell the root-password
would still go cleartext over the net and connection hijacking is a
serious possibility (even so man-in-the-middle attacks)
 > > if on the same network and you are the only nerd on it :) telnet is fine
 > > thatis IF AND ONLY IF the network is cabled and
 > > NOT wireless in which case
 >
 > Good point about the wireless.  If it's wired and you or just
 > your family are the only ones on that network, internally
 > telnetting is no big deal.  If your kid sister is running
 > Wireshark and sniffing your telnet passwords, you have a lot more
 > trouble than just using telnet. (grins)
bwaahaa :)

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)