Hello from a new member, and some questions

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sat May 26 02:00:07 UTC 2007

> I think what you want is possible with auralux. I think that's
> how it's spelled.

It can be found at http://oralux.org (that's "oscar, romeo,
apple, lima, umbrella, x-ray") where you download an ISO image to
burn to a CD.  It comes with a soft-synth, and (last I checked)
has support for at least the emacspeak environment, as well as
the yasr screen reader.  I don't know if they ever got Speakup
working with a soft-synth, but I think it at least came with
Speakup working for hardware synths and braille output.  I don't
know if they took on the job of getting X up and running with
Gnopernicus/Orca.

> Auralux is no longer in development but it comes with several
> screen readers bundled with it

It's somewhat sad to hear that they've discontinued the effort,
other than making their existing work available.  However, it's a
great idea--to freely make available a fully accessible system
that has built-in TTS and doesn't require a screen to use at all.

-tim