trying to get started

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Nov 7 01:56:43 UTC 2007

Yes, any book with a title like "exploring Unix" is a good starters book.
Linux is Unix that got onto lots more hardware from a commands perspective
and for now commands perspective is what you need to get your hands
around.  From an architecture standpoint Linux and Unix do have
differences but you only learn those as you get advanced enough to go
exploring around in the kernel.  A kernel on Linux is the Dos and Windows
equivalent to command.com.  Recording for the blind have a few of these
"Exploring Unix" books each a bit different than the others.  If you were
to read through each you'd have a more rounded knowledge of the subject
but one should do for your purposes.