installing speakup

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 12 16:38:28 UTC 2007

Do you require a custom kernel? It would be easier to download a kernel with
speakup already compiled in. You can do that by going to
http://people.debian.org/~shane/speakup/kernell/.

If you are using debian linux, you can do this:

1. Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://people.debian.org/~shane/speakup/kernel ./

2. At the linux command line, type

apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-speakup-686

3. Reboot