SV: Linux without sighted help

Geoff Shang Geoff at quitelikely.com
Wed Feb 6 18:54:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

What Kirk says is true in theory, but in practice if you're going to
install the operating system by yourself, then your choices will be a
little limited.

There are Speakup boot images for the latest Debian and Fedora releases.
As mentioned, Ubuntu no longer comes with Speakup included, but I *think*
that maybe version 7.04 or 6.10 had it.  Not sure if you could install with
it, say from the alternate boot CD.

there are other smaller distributions like GRML which can also be installed
with Speakup.

I know it has been possible to install other distributions using Speakup in
the past, but I'm not sure of the current status of any other distribution
currently.

Geoff.