Playing MIDIfiles under Linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Feb 26 17:19:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I looked into Timidity after it was recommended here.  At least on
Ubuntu and I think Debian unstable, freepats is listed as a dependency
so you'd have to use the equivs package or similar to override it.
Also, it looks like development stopped in 2004.  There is a Windows
version but I haven't tested it.  The Fluid sound font is in fact
available in Ubuntu as outlined, but I don't think it can "replace"
freepats without the equivs package.  The freepats package looked
limited from the description.  I have some other fairly good sound fonts
but I don't know about the licenses and they are generally very big.