Playing MIDIfiles under Linux

Lorenzo Taylor daxlinux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:58:43 UTC 2008

Yes. PersonalCopy is also quite good and works well with timidity. I
also like one called magic, but I can't remember where I downloaded it.
Note that you can use any soundfont with timidity simply by putting a
line in your /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg that looks like

soundfont /path/to/soundfont.sf2

It's actually that simple. It's much simpler than trying to set it up
with a patchset that doesn't have its own config file. So when I file
the bug with Ubuntu, I will suggest that timidity should recommend
fluid-soundfont-gm or freepats with a preference for fluid-soundfont-gm
and suggest fluid-soundfont-gs. This way timidity can be installed
without either one if someone wishes to use a different soundfont that
isn't packaged with Ubuntu or Debian. Hopefully my Ubuntu bug will pass
along to Debian as well.