Question about installing bootloader

Geoff Shang Geoff at quitelikely.com
Fri Jan 11 10:18:05 UTC 2008

Tony Baechler wrote:

> Which bootloader is better, grub or lilo?

Technically Grub is better because it understands filesystems and you don't
need to install your config every time you need to make a change to your
boot menu, etc.

> The machine is a
> dedicated Linux server running Apache and Qmail.  There are no other
> operating systems on it and stability is critical as it's in a corporate
> environment.  All access is done with ssh.  Should I look into changing to
> grub or leave well enough alone?

My philosophy generally is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But if the
fact that it is being phased out bothers you, you might want to look at
changing.

> Also, do any stock Debian kernels come with
> Speakup built in?  Nothing in the package descriptions say anything about
> Speakup.  Sarge had a 2.4.x Speakup kernel but it never got security updates.

There are Etch Speakup kernels but they aren't in the main Debian
repository.  http://people.debian.org/~shane/

Geoff.