Speakup and VT100 Emulation Stop Gap Fix

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Jun 17 18:39:46 UTC 2008

	I temporarily revived my old serial terminal access
method when I remembered that a test server we have has 2 serial
ports and a floppy drive. That gives me 1 port for the Echo
Speech synthecizer and one port for the Linux box.

	I think MSKermit's VT100 emulator is a true jewel. It
uses BIOS video calls which means it is very screen-reader
friendly and one does not get any VT100 escape sequences leaking
in to the output.

	The FreeBSD installation disk gives one a full-screen
serial console if you can get to it and this at least
temporarily fixes the problem I was having.

	Before, I couldn't make much sense of the output since
all the VT100 codes were mixed in with little snatches of text.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer