Lynx and amazon.com...was lynx and cookies.

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Mar 20 10:14:30 UTC 2008

Karen Lewellen wrote:
> If you are having a problem with amazon and lynx, please do the
> following.
> call here:
> 1-800-201-7575
> This is amazon's toll free number.
> I have already spoken with tech support, and they realize the problem,
> but need to know that others are encountering it, and most importantly
> that a few months back systems worked fine.

Hi,

I'm referring here to Lynx the cat.  I must say that I've had problems
with amazon.com/access for a lot longer than a few months.  I don't
remember how long but I would say a year.  Specifically, the editorial
reviews don't work.  When that happened, I just gave up on the regular
Amazon site with Lynx.  Now I use a graphical browser and I suggest that
others do the same.  I still use Lynx for 90% of my browsing needs but
the fact is that Amazon and many other sites will continue to break on
text browsers.  Another site that has this problem is newegg.com.  I end
up in an endless refresh loop with Lynx.  Specifically, I'm told to
refresh the page because I'm seeing a message that my browser isn't
supported but that just reloads the same page with the same refresh.
I'm not sure if it's because of Javascript or not but I'm thinking not.
In the past few days, Google changed their cookie they issue for
searches and I get an error about it every time I use the Linux search
with Lynx.  That never used to happen.  Even sf.net was giving me
problems with Lynx off and on but that seems to be fixed for the
moment.  Going back to the editorial reviews on Amazon Access, I just
get a blank page when I try to read them.  Other parts of the access
site work fine.  Honestly, it isn't worth me calling their phone number
when I can use Firefox under Windows as I've been doing.  In the case of
SourceForge, I just use rsync which works faster anyway.  In the case of
PayPal, newegg.com and other shopping sites, I use Firefox.  For those
of you not running Windows, I don't know what to suggest except maybe
edbrowse which claims to have full Javascript support.