Getting started with Linux

Henry Yen blinux-mail at AegisInfoSys.com
Wed Oct 22 20:48:27 UTC 2008

Just a few comments on Live CD's:

Graphical environments running from a Live CD will be very very sensitive
to the amount of RAM in the system.  Live CD's will run quite a bit faster
if you give them a healthy dollop of swap space.  That said, the sheer
amount of power and features in a modern Linux Live CD over an older
(almost ten years old!) system such as Windows 98 require a larger amount
of RAM.  Live CD's tend to throw in everything including the kitchen sink.
Perhaps there's an Ubuntu variant that's specifically targeted towards
low-memory machines that would be more satisfactory, especially when some
swap space is available (that's a chicken-and-egg problem, of course, as
it may difficult to allocate swap space until after the system is operational,
which will take a long time because there isn't any swap space).

One other thing that goes a long way towards helping low-memory machines
to run faster is to boot from USB stick.  In a 512MB laptop (with the typical
very very slow CDROM drive), I boot MEPIS (a Debian variant) to fully
operational in about four minutes.  Booting from a USB stick, it's about
fifty seconds.  Unfortunately, low-memory machines are usually older, and
are much less likely to support booting from USB.