Getting started with Linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Oct 25 09:39:38 UTC 2008

Thank you!

I don't like overquoting, but I'm leaving the below quotes because
that's exactly what I'm trying to say.  I am also not a slave to my OS.
That's why I'm running Windows 98, XP, Linux and attempting to install
NetBSD in a virtual machine.  I've also used Mac OS.  However, until I
find something as accessible and responsive as Sound Forge and until I
find a way to not be stuck with software speech, I am afraid I can't
switch to Gnome and Orca for any serious work.  Again, perhaps it's my
mindset as you say or perhaps I've been around Windows too long, but I'm
comforted by the fact that I can generally count on at least a general
level of accessibility in most Windows apps with Window-Eyes and XP.
True, some things just don't work at all, but in 90% of cases, I can use
my mouse pointer to get most things done and one (not me) can develop
sets or scripts to make up for what doesn't work out of the box.  Again,
until Orca provides similar functionality and I have good access to
professional audio software, I'm afraid that at least one machine here
will have to run Windows.  I have no particular like for Sound Forge,
but I have yet to find anything else that works well for my needs and
does what I want an audio editor to do.

On a different but related subject, are there any MIDI sequencing
packages that work with Orca and are accessible?  I'm not a musician,
but I do like being able to change instruments in MIDI files.  I like
Timidity and recommend it, but it is primarily a player and is a little
limited for what I'm wanting to find.  Again, if there's something like
Cakewalk or Sonar for Gnome, I would like to switch to it.  I'm not
aware of anything though.  I've looked at a couple command line programs
but I found them difficult and couldn't get them to actually do
anything.  I found an app for KDE which the same sighted person says
works well, but I don't think KDE has any degree of accessibility, at
least I've not read about it.  There is an accessibility package though,
but since I've never seen it commented on here, I'll assume it doesn't
work very well.