Intro, and the dreaded basic question

Larry Higgins lhiggins at tbcnet.com
Wed Jan 14 11:08:20 UTC 2009

Hello listers,

My name is Larry Higgins from Sycamore, IL. I am a first time poster
to this list, although I have been subscribed to this list for God
knows how long, anywhere from 8 to 10 years probably, and have taken
only  a passing interest in possibly installing Linux of some variety
on one of the many computers that have past through my life over
these many years, but could never find the time or drive space to do
so. My reason for getting at least serious enough to inquire is as follows.

A neighbor of mine took it upon himself to buy for me for Christmas a
Dell Inspiron 530 computer that I really didn't need. This thing came
with Vista, and I thought that after playing around with Vista for
the first time over the next few days, I might get brave and tackle
installing a version of Linux on that computer, either running a dual
boot, or just removing Vista and starting from scratch.

Of course, my questions are the usual ones that might come from the
greenest novice.Which version of Linux is best and most popular among
Blinux list members, and what would I need to make installation
as 	convenient, if not as easy as possible? I do not have a
refreshable Braille display, only speech in the form of Window-Eyes,
which I know from the outset will do me absolutely no good <g>.

Will I need lots of sighted help in order to get Linux installed, or
is there anything like a hands off installation routine, or am I
dreaming?  After getting Linux installed, how speech friendly can it
be made to be these days? Also, is there any way to make a GUI speak
in Linux, one similar to Windows?

With that, I think I'll wait for your answers. I must say, I have
heard some nightmarish stories about these kinds of installations, so
just hope I'm really ready for this. Heck, if I really want to
attempt this, I made need a mentor or two <g>.

Any help with these issues will be greatly appreciated,

Larry

PS I'm sure you might ask if I have been reading this list over these
many years, and the answer is no, I am ashamed to say, and I haven't
kept an archive of my own either. I will proceed to slap myself on
the hand real hard <g>.