Intro, and the dreaded basic question

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Wed Jan 14 12:00:45 UTC 2009

Good to hear you are finally ready to give linux a go.
IMHO, one of the most painless ways to get a running, talking linux iwith
most options included, is to go for Ubuntu.
These days, Linux can speak from the console/command-line as it could do
for a long time, as well as speak from the gnome gui.
I use speakup for speech from the command line and use orca, the gui gnome
screen-reader when I have to.
Many people these days only use orca, and they are still alive.
Go for the latest version of ubuntu called intrepid.
This is not only because you will have better hardware support on most
machines, but also because it makes the installation of speakup a lot
easier.
Google for audio tutorial ubuntu orca to find the mail archive on the
orca-list where you can find the links to audio tutorials prepared by
blind people from the community on installing ubuntu using its own
software speech and orca from the live cd.
If you go for Ubuntu, make sure that you get the matching tutorial for the
intrepid 8.10 version, as there were some changes over time regarding the
exact installation procedures.
After a standard Ubuntu installation, you will have orca installed, but
not speakup yet.
Another popular linx these days is called grml, giving you a talking
command-line linux.
I have not personally worked with that, but by the sound of it, it works
well.
Linux, at any rate from the command-line, can be made quite
speech-friendly.
Orca, the gui screen-reader is moving forward quickly and I am sure with
time will also be speech-friendly with most applications.
For now, it works very well with some apps and less so with others.
In short, things did get a lot easier over the last number of years with
regards to linux in general.
Hope this give you enough to start off with.
There is a speakup mailing list and an orca one, both archived, so you
should be able to find info there.
Because of a lot of changes in the last year, I would suggest that you do
not look at emails regarding any of these things where the post is older
than about six months.
Regards, Willem