File Mannagement and Selective Playing with mpg123

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Dec 30 12:46:33 UTC 2010

On 12/29/2010 09:46 PM, Hart Larry wrote:
> but I think mp3splt will only devide a file which was wrapped.

mp3splt works on any file and can divide a file based on
described split-points (such as the metadata file generated by
mp3join), based on time intervals (every 3 minutes becomes a new
mp3) or based on silence-thresholds (I tried that, but had less
luck because many podcasts include filler or background music
that obscure the airtime silence).

The main reason I use mp3splt/mp3join instead of sox is that  sox
transcodes the file(s) degrading the quality a little at each
split/join; while mp3splt/mp3join just copy the raw data-frames
into the new file without transcoding.  If you have uncompressed
audio (.flac, .wav, .au, etc) then using sox could work well too.

I formerly used mp3splt for all of my podcasts because my old mp3
player (an RCA Opal piece of junk) would only remember the track
of a podcast (not where in the track) you were if you turned it
off, and the fast-forward button worked in such small increments
that it was a pain.  So I use mp3splt to chop up my podcasts into
3-minute segments so I only ever had to fast-forward or rewind by
about 1.5 minutes instead of sitting there waiting to
fast-forward through 40 minutes of an hour show.  However I now
have a new mp3 player which isn't as brain-dead, so I don't have
to slice up my podcasts.

-tim