basic mysql question

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sat Feb 6 02:36:45 UTC 2010

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Does mysql have a way of preventing screen run off?

The "mysql" command processor *should* respect the $PAGER
environment variable for most things.  However, you can specify
it manually at the command-line[1] with

   mysql --pager

though according the the help, $PAGER is used by default if you
don't specify it.  You can also enable it dynamically at the
prompt[2] with

   \P

As for how it's treated with the help, that seems to be a mixed
bag from my testing.  If I just type "help" at the command
prompt, it doesn't appear to use the pager.  But it I type "help
<topic>" such as "help warnings", it uses the pager for the
output.  Might be a reportable bug?  Or my version might be a bit
old[3] and it's more consistent now?

Hope this helps,

-tim

[1]
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-command-options.html#option_mysql_pager

[2]
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-commands.html

[3]
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.32, for pc-linux-gnu (i486) using
readline 5.2 running on Debian.