Vinux 3.0 strangeness

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Jul 7 02:54:15 UTC 2010

An account of what was tried on this end is probably first in order. I
tried all keystroke combinations in the Vinux faq file after boot up had
been achieved with no sound from the sound card. I also tried running
Vinux-2.0-cli-max on the same computer with the speakers plugged in the
same way they were for Vinux 3.0.  Strangely, vinux-2.0-cli-max speaks and
comes up talking.  As proof of this statement, the user directory is empty
but the root directory has the ceni utility in it along with a build.sh
script. So my conclusions are that some change or changes were done to
sound card utilities or drivers between versions which broke some
necessary piece of the system's accessibility and that will be found in
the changelog file or certain necessary parts were damaged by hacking of
ubuntu images and those once converted hadn't been tested with this
particular equipment combination.  Either way it's good to know the
2.0-cli-max version works since I may in about a week's time be asked to
set up an accessible linux box for another sspeech-using screen reader
user.  What I'm curious about and will find out in a little while is if
installing 2.0-cli-max and then going through the upgrades process will
also break speech once done.  If it does, then ubuntu developers did the
change and not vinux developers most likely.