how to set up a Linux box

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Jul 7 23:58:55 UTC 2010

Vinux has a cli version available and that cli version can at a later
date be turned into a gui version.  If you download and can get the cli
version talking there's not much to do to get yourself a gui version by
installing a few files rather than pulling down an entirely new
distribution.  When I want to do that, I run tasksel and check desktop
environment with the space bar; that puts a star to the left of desktop
environment and hitting space bar again removes the star from the left
of desktop environment.  I also put a star to the left of data base,
then I tab to ok and hit enter and let the system install what it needs.
  Then as root, I run orca -t in text mode and configure orca don't worry
about python error messages.  I do the same orca -t command in my user
account then I reboot the system.  If I want to do command line when all
is silent after speech has started up I hit control-alt-f1 and then hit
enter.  If not I key in my user name and hit enter and key in my password
and hit enter and I go into gui environment with orca already talking.On