Why Arch Linux?

Krishnakant Mane krmane at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 11:25:28 UTC 2011

Hello all.

On 24/04/11 16:08, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> Hi Cheryl,
>

> My own experience is narrower than yours: I went from Slackware to
> Debian to Arch, and have not implemented any GUI support here. Here are
> my main reasons:
>
> 1. It is simple, assuming a moderately skilled user.

Is there an accessible installer?
Does it need hardware synth or can we do it using software synth like
espeak?

> 2. The package manager and archiving methods are impressively designed,
> and easy to use.
> Wonderful.
Can I also have Gnome on it?

> 3. The package maintainers perform minimal tinkering with upstream
> material, primarily just packaging those materials, not second-guessing
> developers.  The result is that upstream innovations often appear in
> the arch archives very early.

wonderful, this is great news!
Can we by any ways remaster Arch like we can do with Ubuntu?
That is to say, can we create a special cd or dvd that contains arch
with what ever we have put in?

> 4. The concept of "rolling release" eliminates two issues that were
> problematic for me in my earlier experience with Linux, i.e.:
>
> 4-A.  The concern that I might be using somewhat older versions of some
> applications than might be available, e.g. in unstable rather than
> testing, or experimental rather than unstable, etc.
>
> 4-B. The nightmare of performaing a major upgrade when a new official
> release is announced. I give no examples of such problems, other than
> to say that they drove me from Slackware to Debian, and then from
> Debian to Arch. I perform a very simple upgrade procedure once a day or
> maybe every other day, and in two years have had only minor issues a
> couple of times, issues that were cleared up very quickly, often within
> hours.

This gets even more interesting.
I am thinking of creating commertial distro of linux and propose to set
a non profit organisation to support it.
I want to know if arch indeed has the accessible installer.
And is it possible to setup Gnome?
Further more, I can download the entire Debian or Ubuntu mirror and
change the sources.list file to refer to my local version of that repo/
mirror.
I have a 4 mbps line at my institute where I did this stunt.
So I keep it on my external hard disk and I can install any software,
whereever I go even when there is no internet connection.
I want to know if this is possible with Arch.
> 5. You mentioned consulting the arch wiki, and that's useful for Linux
> users in general, but even more useful for archers in particular of
> course. There are also active mailing lists for users and developers,
> and a growing community of blind users, thanks largely to Chris
> Brannon's modifications to the standard installation iso and his
> dedicated support.

Hey, where is this modified ISO?
And what is its name?

> One caution: Arch Linux does not support as broad an array of hardware
> as do other distributions. If you do not use an i686 or an x86-64
> system, look elsewhere.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.