fetchmail on arch

Christopher Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Fri Apr 29 00:19:44 UTC 2011

Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak at gmail.com> writes:

> Has anybody used fetchmail on arch; I'm getting the smtp=10
> error with a failure to connect to localhost; the polling is done and
> I can tell how many messages they are but they don't download. I don't
> know if port 25 isn't functhioning and i have to enable it somehow

Hi,
Did you install and configure an MTA, such as postfix or exim?  Arch
doesn't install one by default.  Don't forget to add it to the DAEMONS
array in /etc/rc.conf.  Yes, I forget this quite often.
Once you have it installed and configured, just
telnet localhost 25
to know whether it is up and running.  Type quit to disconnect.

Good luck!
-- Chris