Setting up Mail in Linux

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jan 8 02:05:43 UTC 2011

For incoming mail, you might read the fetchmail or getmail manual pages
and prepare to make yourself a configuration program for one of those
programs.  Sendmail and postfix and other alternatives exist for
outgoing mail.  Of the packages sendmail is the most difficult and
involved to get set up and working properly.  Everyone of the outgoing
mail packages has a security section which you should read and
understand before going any further.  Incoming mail is best not stored
in mbox format but as separate files against the day clamscan finds a
virus.  With individual messages in individual files all you need do is
delete that file.  The mbox format stores all incoming mail in a single
file so when clamscan finds a virus in that, it flags all of your email
as bad and can't remove one or messages where a virus is found.