Vista hides network card from Ubuntu

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Jan 13 16:14:20 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I have a dual boot system with Windows Vista Home and Ubuntu 8.04.4. Ubuntu
is fully updated. Vista was last updated in December.

When Vista shuts down properly it hides the network card from Ubuntu. That
doesn't make sense, since if all power is shut off everything should return
to its neutral state and the card should be available, but that's not what
happens. The only way I can get Ubuntu to communicate with the network is if
I interrupt Vista's shutdown. I've tried multiple runs of dhclient to no
avail, and likewise disconnecting the cable modem (sometimes all night!)
similarly doesn't help.

Has anyone else had this problem and have any idea how to fix it? It's been
going on for more than a year.

Thanks for any ideas,

--
Lee Maschmeyer