alsalib boot errors

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Oct 21 20:17:25 UTC 2011

The effect isn't limited to archlinux either, this happens wherever this
version of alsa is installed.  I have it on the espeakup edition of
debian.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, aerospace1028 at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm noticing a rash of alsa-lib warnings popping up durring the boot phase of my archlinux system.
>
> I managed to capture the messages below.  I don't completely understand what alsalib is complaining about.  To me, it looks like it is having trouble
> identifying/loading speaker configurations (I'm presuming "front," "center" and "side" refer to surround-sound speakers).  Speakup is reading these
> messages, so I am getting sound.  I'm using a laptop, with whatever built-in sound the machine has--most often the headphone jack.
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this problem and how I might go about correcting it?
>

> :: Restoring ALSA Levels
> [DONE]
> :: Starting Espeakup
> [DONE]
> :: Starting speech dispatcher Daemon
> [BUSY]
> [Thu Oct 20 15:52:47 2011 : 439163] speechd: Speech Dispatcher 0.8-dev starting
>
> [DONE]
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround71
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
> ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline:CARD=0,DEV=0
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
> ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline:CARD=0,DEV=0
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
> ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2212:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM phoneline
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.ATIIXP.pcm.modem.0:CARD=0'
> ALSA lib conf.c:4184:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:4663:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> [...]

Jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net>
If I got a nickel for every message I've already sent supporting Microsoft
Windows and its applications I'd have enough to retire on comfortably no
matter what the stock market did.