Pulseaudio and What I Found

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu May 17 00:24:01 UTC 2012

Martin McCormick  <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:

>	On my system, something is terribly wrong with
>pulseaudio as the configuration files in .pulse poison any
>alsa-related tasks.
>
>	Amixer, aplay and arecord all cause the spew of errors
>and no sound as well as no speakup afterward. If I remove the
>.pulse directory or those configuration files, audio works fine
>again.
>
>	In a short time, pulseaudio restores .pulse to its
>poisonous configuration and we are back to square 1 again.

Have you submitted a bug report? Most problems with PulseAudio, according to
the developers, are actually bugs in the underlying Alsa drivers. Given that
it's an old audio chip, I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's the driver.

If you want to adjust the configuration settings in ~/.pulse have a read of
the pacmd and pactl manual pages.