copying files from my computer using arch linux

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Nov 6 12:14:01 UTC 2012

Hi Kristoffer,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 11:18:20 +0100
Kristoffer Gustafsson <kg.kristoffer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> My windows computer has crashed, and I want to recover my files and
> put them on my usb hard drive.
> Is this possible to do from an arch linux cd?
> If so how do I do this?

An Arch Linux LiveCD or the Arch Linux installation CD? If the latter, then I
found the default Arch Linux installer to be user-hostile, and I would suggest
using a LiveCD of a different distribution instead such as Knoppix, Mageia
Linux, or Linux Mint. In any case, what you should do is:

1. Mount the external USB hard drive. As root, you can use a command like:

mkdir -p /mnt/external
mount /dev/sdb /mnt/external

I'm not sure the /dev/sdb will be the right device, but you can play with it.

2. Then you should mount your Windows partition. Find it in the hard drive
(it is probably NTFS or FAT32) and mount its partition device
under /mnt/windows .

3. Then you can recover the files and copy them to the external hard disk
using such commands as "cp", "rsync", "tar" and/or "zip".

Please let me know if there's anything else you need to understand, but you can
find all that in a web search (see http://duckduckgo.com/ ;
http://www.google.com/ ).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish