Big project with pulseaudio and streaming

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 23:19:33 UTC 2012

According to Janina Sajka:
# Rather than describing access to particular pieces of software, I wonder
# whether it would be easier for people to provide useful advice were you
# to describe your requirements more generically, e.g. accept X number of
# independent streamining inputs and mix with an additional local input to
# create an mp3. After all, if podcasts are to be interoperable, the
# particular application shouldn't matter, right?

	Normally I would certainly agree with you. If it was entirely my
podcast, I would do something very similar to what Sonar Radio currently
does, like using Mumble to record a flac file, editing the file for the
podcast, encoding it in parallel to Ogg Vorbis and mp3, and then
uploading the resulting ogg and mp3 files to the podcast website,
probably either hand-coding the feed or posting the files somewhere that
auto-generates the feed. I would also probably forego the live Icecast
stream, although it could be fun to add it in I guess. Sadly, however, I
do have to work with some very specific applications, not the least
important of which is TeamTalk, and TeamTalk is not only unaware of most
sound systems other than straight up alsa, but is also a proprietary
binary that can't be modified in any way, which seriously limits the
possibilities for doing what I need to do with its input and output streams.

# Also, you should consider jack audio connections rather than # pulseaudio.
# Jack is the preferred transport for professional audio work on Linux.

I probably will end up using Jack, although since I already had
pulseaudio on my system, and many distros ship with it activated by
default, it seemed at the time to be the least potentially frustrating
solution for someone coming from a Mac environment. Part of this
project, and the whole reason I accepted it, is to try to help a current
Mac user make a smooth transition to free software, but this Mac user
has already been led to believe, by a Linux user no less,  that
GNU/Linux and free software is only for very technically minded people,
and that there is nothing that will be as powerful and also easy to work
with as the proprietary tools that can be purchased for Mac computers.
An up-hill battle for sure, but one that I feel is well worth fighting.

# And, you might want to seek advice on the Linux audio list, see:
#
# http://linuxaudio.org

I will give this a look as well. Thanks.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/