What is the best distro for my business manager?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 14:35:11 UTC 2012

I've run Linux as a guest machine under Windows as the host OS and
Windows as the guest OS under Linux as the host OS. On Windows, I've
used both VMware Player and VirtualPC, where on Linux I've used VMware
Player exclusively. I haven't had the problems others have experienced.
Namely, I don't find Windows to be too unstable to run as a host OS.
Granted I use common sense and practice safe computing. I also don't
find Windows to run as a dog as a guest OS under Linux. I do make sure I
have the resources Windows wants to be happy though.

Right now, I run Linux as the host OS almost exclusively, but this is
because I spend most of my time in Linux and just go to Windows for the
occasional task. My advice is to pick your host OS based on what
environment you'll be spending most of your time in.

I also have all of my systems set up to dual boot between Linux and
Windows, and this is a perfectly fine way to go if you don't want to
occasionally run both a Linux application and a Windows application side
by side. I don't think I've booted Windows on my current laptop so since
this first weekend I got it almost two years ago. Running Windows in a
VM meets all of my Windows running needs.

On 24/11/12 05:35, Kyle wrote:
> All the development tools for Arch Linux are in a group called base-devel.
> pacman -S base-devel
> or
> pacstrap /mnt base base-devel ...
> during installation will pull in all the development tools automatically.
>
> As for whether or not to run a virtual machine as opposed to
> dual-booting, it's ultimately up to you, but running Windows as a guest
> on Linux whenever you feel the need to still run a few Windows
> applications will give you an experience similar to running two
> computers at once, with the added benefit that you can even copy from
> one and paste into the other. If you have a powerful enough box, you can
> run 2 or even 3 virtual machines at once, but in this case, 1 should be
> all you need. I'm not sure how it works on Windows, but running
> VirtualBox on Linux doesn't appear to distabilize the host Linux OS in
> any way. Just be sure that your processor supports hardware
> virtualization (most now do), and that it is activated, both in
> VirtualBox and in your bios. This will give you noticeable speed
> improvements. Ultimately, however, the goal is to be able to remove
> Windows completely from your system, which is much easier if you have a
> virtual machine than if you run a dual-boot system and need to
> repartition your disk once you no longer need Windows.
> ~Kyle
> http://kyle.tk/

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail