Resuming an nntp connection?

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Jan 28 09:33:53 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, Tony Baechler wrote:

> 2. You could run your own local news server.  The advantage is faster access
> since you're pulling articles locally.  You only have to pull the groups you
> want, so you don't need a lot of disk space.  Since there is no nntp
> connection needed by your reader, you shouldn't have any problems.  The
> disadvantage is that you would need to either have your machine on all the
> time and have the news server running in the background, you would need a
> cron job, or you would have to manually pull articles before you start your
> news reader.  Just point your reader at /var/spool/news instead of
> news.giganews.com.  This is probably not a good solution if your groups have
> lots of binaries.

I ran Leafnode for awhile when looking at groups.  It seemed to work well.
It has nice features like automatically figuring out which groups you want
to read and only pulling those groups, etc.

It was around in the dial-up days so I'm sure would have processes for
periodic updating and coping with the machine not being on full-time.

HTH,
Geoff.