bookmark setting question?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Tue Jul 23 01:52:09 UTC 2013

On July 22, 2013, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> What if what you are bookmarking is not a page, but a link in an
> email?

I suppose it would depend on how the link is conveyed from the email
to the bookmark back-end.  That depends mainly on the email program
you're using, which (based on a peek at your email headers) appears
to be Pine, or possibly Alpine.

You might be able to configure Pine/Alpine to open URLs with
links-the-chain or links2-the-chain rather than lynx-the-cat.

If that doesn't work but you have access to copy/paste between your
mail program and your browser, that might be fastest/easiest.  If you
can run GNU screen or "tmux" on your remote shell, it will give you
access to the internal copy/paste functionality.  If you're running
it locally in a multi-tasking OS that gives you access to two
concurrent terminals (either an accessible telnet/SSH program on
Win32, or within X terminals on Linux), you can use the system
copy/paste functionalities to transfer the URL from your mail to the
browser of your choice. I seem to recall you connect via a DOS machine
that doesn't multi-task, so I'd investigate using tmux (or GNU
screen) which I mentioned in an earlier post [1].  They're so
powerful that it's hard for me to imagine going back to using a
telnet/SSH connection without them.

As a last-ditch effort, if you have direct access to your mailbox
files on the shellworld server, it wouldn't be all that hard to throw
together a little Python/perl script you could execute that would take
a given mbox or maildir message, scrape out all the URLs inside and
manually mung them into the ~/.links2/bookmarks.html file since it's
only HTML.

-tim

[1]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/blinux-list/2013-March/msg00076.html