2 telnet related questions?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Jun 24 08:21:55 UTC 2013

Hart Larry  <blinux-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>Ok, I login to Shellworld from a Debian system with a 12MB  AT&T Uverse
>connection.  Over the last couple of years I had to switch from ssh to telnet,
>as for some reason, with Speakup, there is some sluggishness while cursoring.
>But now even telnet has this behavior, while logging in another Linux machine
>which has much better network conductivity, I have an easier time.  editing
>without any lag.  On Shellworld I can hit backspace a number of times  and the
>beeping is spiraticly sluggish.
>So, first I wonder if there are either other telnet options I can try, or would
>their be another protocol which may react faster?

Almost everybody has moved away from telnet for security reasons. Basically,
if you're using telnet, everything you type, including passwords, is sent over
the network as plain text that crackers can intercept. So my advice is that
you shouldn't use it.

Regarding your network problem, try pinging the remote hosts that you're
connecting to. The network latency could be your problem, in which case
there's very little you can do about it unless it's an issue with your
internet service provider's network. Some providers are better than others in
this area. Mine, for example, maintains a very reliable network with good
latency because their customers use a lot of VoIP, which is highly sensitive
to timing issues.