just how much can you do with?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Sun Mar 3 14:13:33 UTC 2013

On March  3, 2013, Tony Baechler wrote:
> I stayed with Dos and Windows 98 for years because I
> didn't want to give up the flexibility, but now that I'm
> pretty familiar with Linux, I wouldn't go back.  If you
> have DOS programs that you want to use, you can probably
> still run them in Linux.

One of the other great things about Linux is that console
tools are still actively developed and used.  It's unlikely
that your DOS utilities are still being actively maintained.
But almost all of the console tools I use are actively
developed (heck, "git" just made another 1.8.x release last
night...I can't keep up with their near-weekly updates)

> Run the following command:
>
> dpkg -l
>
> That lists all of the installed packages.  There are
> probably quite a lot of them.  You can safely disregard
> the libraries for now.

Filtering out most of the libraries might make this list a
lot less painful:

  dpkg -l | grep -v ^lib

> There are also many beginner Linux podcasts.  I assembled
> several of them for someone else.

There's a good starter list of podcasts at

http://maketecheasier.com/10-great-podcasts-for-linux-open-source-geeks/2012/12/24

though it doesn't contain my go-to recommendation of "Linux
for the rest of us" which is available at

http://www.podnutz.com/linuxfortherestofus

I hope this gives you a couple more leads.

-tim