a more simple question?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Mar 5 01:31:38 UTC 2013

and one I did not get a  clear answer to on the debian list.
While I wade back through the bees nest, let me start asking about
something more time sensitive.
As stated, the Linux machine is already built and already has a hard drive
in it with debian squeeze...or some of it lol.
At the time the drive was added to the machine, speech came up talking
etc...it is a console focused structure I believe.
However at that time there  was no network connection for debian to
find.
The person supplying the drive worked from a dial up approach.
I will have dsl again on Saturday, and in addition to configuring my main
dos machine once more, I would like my engineer friend to configure the
debian squeeze setup for the  high speed too.
I use dhtp with dos, and understand debian likes this as well.
so, ...
1, and really being hopeful here, if we just connect the network card to
the new dsl modem and boot up the Linux box, will it load the drivers it
may need for that hardware automatically?
if not,
2, how does one inform debian that a network exists after it is already
installed?
Thanks  in advance,
Kare