talkingarch CD problems

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Sun May 26 20:12:56 UTC 2013

Hello,
I finally recieved my repaired braille notetaker device and found the time to use it as a braille display with my talkingarch CD.  When the CD's boot menue pops up I press escape and enter:

arch64 brltty=auto,ttyUSB0,en_US

and braille support activates properly durring the boot process.  I did some exploration on my own, but can't find anything obvious that is preventing speech output.

I used my notetaker to transcribe, as best I could, the various messages left on the screen at the end of the boot process.  I kept switching back and forth between braille-terminal mode and the notetakers word-processer.  I provided the transcript below:

[ ok ] started dhcp.
[ ok ] reached target network.

archlinux 3.6.6-1 ARCH (tty1)

login: root (automatic login)
[ ok ] started restore soundcard state.
[ kvm : disabled by bios.
    starting udev wait for complete device initialization.
[ ok ] started target sound card.
[ok ] started udev wait for complete device initialization.
    starting unmute all sound controls for use with tarlkingarch live environment.
    starting software speech output for speakup.
[ ok ] started unmute all sound controls for use with talkingarch live environment.
[ ok ] started initializes packman keyring.
[ ok ] started software speech output for speakup.
root at archiso ~# [failed] failed to start login service
see `systemctl status systemd-logind.service' for details.
[ ok ] started target multiuser.

*** end of transcript ***

The systemd-logind failure and the multiuser messages pop up a minute or two after the system gets to the roott at archiso prompt.  By the time I finished transcribing down to that point, that is where they appeared.  On other occasions, when I did some exploring, they appear mixed after the output from commands I issue.

tty1 is the only connected terminal.  I navigated to some of the other terminals and they are blank, no prompt or text of any kind.  I'm not sure if that's normal for a live-CD.

I did notice that with the braille terminal, when scrolling around the edge of the screen, the computer does produce the system beep.  I used my headphones to confirm that the beep is coming from the computer and not the notetaker.

I used the script command to capture the status of the systemd-logind as well as the espeakup services.

Script started on Mon 20 May 2013 09:12:59 AM UTC
#

root at archiso ~ # systemctl status systemd-logind.servicesystemd-logind.service - Login Service
      Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service; static)
      Active: activating (start) since Mon, 2013-05-20 09:13:05 UTC; 19s ago
        Docs: man:systemd-logind.service(8)
              man:logind.conf(5)
              http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat
    Main PID: 1969 (systemd-logind)
      CGroup: name=systemd:/system/systemd-logind.service
          └ 1969 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind

May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd[1]: Failed to start Login Service.
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd[1]: Unit systemd-logind.service entered failed state
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd[1]: Stopping Login Service...
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd[1]: Starting Login Service...
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd-logind[1969]: New seat seat0.
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd-logind[1969]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event2 (Power Button)
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd-logind[1969]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event4 (Video Bus)
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd-logind[1969]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event0 (Power Button)
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd-logind[1969]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event1 (Lid Switch)
May 20 09:13:05 archiso systemd-logind[1969]: New session 1 of user root.
#

3 root at archiso ~ # systemctl status espeakup.serviceespeakup.service - Software speech output for Speakup
      Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service; enabled)
      Active: active (running) since Mon, 2013-05-20 08:40:54 UTC; 32min ago
     Process: 365 ExecStart=/usr/bin/espeakup (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 686 (espeakup)
      CGroup: name=systemd:/system/espeakup.service
          └ 686 /usr/bin/espeakup

May 20 09:13:49 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'SetApproximateSampleRate( pcm, hwParams, sr )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1963
May 20 09:13:49 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_InitialConfigure( &self->playback, outParams, self->primeBuffers, hwParamsPlayback,... line: 2641
May 20 09:13:49 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Configure( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inputLat... line: 2762
May 20 09:13:50 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'SetApproximateSampleRate( pcm, hwParams, sr )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1963
May 20 09:13:50 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_InitialConfigure( &self->playback, outParams, self->primeBuffers, hwParamsPlayback,... line: 2641
May 20 09:13:50 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Configure( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inputLat... line: 2762
May 20 09:13:50 archiso espeakup[365]: wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9997 (Invalid sample rate)
May 20 09:13:50 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'SetApproximateSampleRate( pcm, hwParams, sr )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1963
May 20 09:13:50 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_InitialConfigure( &self->playback, outParams, self->primeBuffers, hwParamsPlayback,... line: 2641
May 20 09:13:50 archiso espeakup[365]: Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Configure( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inputLat... line: 2762
#

root at archiso ~ # exit
Script done on Mon 20 May 2013 09:15:31 AM UTC

I'm not sure if there's more than one issue going on; or if my speakup problem and the systemd-logind failures are cascading from the same root cause.

Does anyone recognize what's going on here?  Any suggestions on where to look to troubleshoot or fix the problem(s) I am having would be appreciated.

Thank you, and sorry for the lengthy post.