gdm talking login is back for me in Fedora 20

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Apr 25 03:54:57 UTC 2014

Hi, Al:

My experience has been that it isn't there consistently.

If you boot directly into the graphical environment, I do believe you
will have talking GDM.

If, however, for any reason you find it necessary to restart the
desktop, you will not have it unless you kill speech-dispatcher after
shutting the desktop down, e.g.:

systemctl stop gdm
killall speech-dispatcher
systemctl start gdm

I'd be interested in your experience with restarts, as I believe this is
a bug that should probably be filed against gdm. It should be trivial
for gdm to check for an existing speech-dispatcher--which will be owned
by another user, so won't function for gdm. gdm should be able to manage
a restart of speech-dispatcher, however, to clear this up.

Janina