gdm talking login is back for me in Fedora 20

Albert Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sat Apr 26 02:38:38 UTC 2014

Hi, Janina:

As far as I can recall, I've always booted into the graphical environment.
I think I tried to kill the gnome desktop as a whole oly once, and whatever
I did was wrong and seemed to have no bearing on when I lost my talking
login.

I regularly kill and restart Orca, and sometimes gnome-terminal or
Thunderbird, because speech commonly wipes out for reasons I have not
figured out.  Again, though, there seems to be no connection between that
and losing the talking login.

The only thing I can correlate with the disappearance and later reappearance
of the talking login is that each event followed a Fedora 20 update.  (I
don't think this problem occurred earlier:  earlier, at least twice, there
was the problem of Speakup getting out of sync with the updates.)

I'm sorry I don't have more light to shed on this thing.

Al