a very challenging question?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Dec 19 07:56:04 UTC 2014

Hi Karen,

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 02:16:30 -0500 (EST)
Karen Lewellen <klewellen at shellworld.net> wrote:

> I promise I am not being provocative.  I am simply interested.
> What does Linux do that freebsd does not?
> I realize the question may be too simple.  So let me ask that a bit
> differently.  What does command line Linux do that freebsd does not?

Off the top of my head:

1. The Linux kernel supports much more types of hardware devices than FreeBSD
does.

2. The Linux kernel runs on more CPU architectures.

3. X-Windows requires tweaking some parameters in the FreeBSD startup file to
start (even after it is installed).

4. A personal experience: I once had to reboot a FreeBSD VirtualBox virtual
machine (I think due to a stuck X due to #3), and after I rebooted it, I
noticed that many of the files under /etc were gone, making the system
unusuable. I don't remember the last time when a problem like that happened in
a Linux system, whether a VM or a live system.

5. Some programs may only work on Linux because they are not portable enough to
FreeBSD. (That's often a fault of these programs.)

6. The Linux kernel may have some features that the FreeBSD kernel lacks.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish