a very challenging question?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Fri Dec 19 14:05:36 UTC 2014

Shlomi's answers are a great starting point.  I'll add/comment to
them:

- While the Linux kernel runs on more CPU architectures than FreeBSD,
  the NetBSD flavor of BSD runs on even more architectures.  Does
  this matter to the general user?  Not usually.  As long as i386,
  64-bit AMD & Intel CPUs, MIPS and ARM are supported, that covers
  the vast majority of common users.

- FreeBSD (but not OpenBSD or NetBSD) has Jails, which Linux is only
  starting to add with their "containers".  I like the simplicity of
  FreeBSD's jails and they have been around a fairly long time;
  meanwhile, Linux containers still feel wet behind the ears

- FreeBSD has the ZFS out of the box with strong support; it's
  available on Linux but usually you need to add it on or run it
  using FUSE (file-system in user-space) which is slower.

- FreeBSD has a powerful firewall/router which is much easier to use
  than iptables/ipfw on Linux.

- I don't know if Speakup works on any of the BSDs (I'm fairly
  certain it doesn't since it was originally a patch-set for the
  Linux kernel source).  Other assistive tech such as Orca or yasr may
  work just fine, but they don't allow for accessible access to the
  messages at boot like Speakup would.

As you can tell from FreeBSD's advantages, they mostly matter to
system administrators who would want to use a massively powerful
file-system, the ability to partition tasks into jails, and the
firewall/router.

So for most of the users on this mailing list, unless you're
administering a high-end server or network-router, I'd stick with
Linux. (grins)

-tim