adjusting command line vlc

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jul 26 22:57:17 UTC 2014

We're using hughesnet for an internet provider and this has never been one
of the better providers their advertising notwithstanding.  The provider
is a data throttler if you go above your alloted limit each month and that
only serves to degrade the service even further.  This would be fine for
dos based machines and windows is not and has never been dos; too much
code bloat in windows to make it qualify.  As a result of using hughesnet
listening to streams on the internet is frequently disrupted by the stream
dropping out for several seconds at a time.  I'm wondering if there is a
means with vlc to increase the buffer size of data vlc downloads before it
plays the stream and while continuing to play a stream such that some of
these multiple second stream losses can be mitigated.  I've been doing my
own surfing, but so far when trying to use what I find vlc either throws
an error or simply ignores the configuration changes I've made.  I haven't
been able to get vlc to use the curses interface by default and stop
complaining about not being able to find g.u.i. resources yet either.
Some of what I've tried has even come out of official vlc documentation
too.

I think documentation for command line version needs several corrections
and is in error in several places.

jude <jdashiel at shellworld.net>