Hpodder with a Proxy?

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Thu Sep 25 16:50:56 UTC 2014

On September 25, 2014, Hart Larry wrote:
> author of Hpodder, he suggests if curl can handle a proxy, then
> Hpodder probably can. Can you, Tim, or any1else please inform in
> how to configure, so I can subscribe-and-download actual content.

While I neither subscribe to the Aljazeera podcast nor use a proxy
server, Hpodder's underlying curl libraries look into the environment
for two variables named "http_proxy" (for unencrypted  HTTP traffic)
and "https_proxy" (for encrypted HTTPS traffic).

So you'd do something like

  sh$ hpodder lscasts | grep -i jaz
  3     0/12    Al-Jazeera Podcast

and make note of what that first number is (the ID of the Al Jazeera
podcast in Hpodder)

 sh$ export http_proxy="http://my.proxy.example.com:3141"
 sh$ hpodder fetch 3  # this "3" is the podcast ID gleaned above
 sh$ export http_proxy=""

This should set the proxy to whatever your proxy is, run hpodder for
that one feed, then un-set the proxy so the other feeds work fine.

Note that this is entirely untested, but the theory is sound (grins).

-tim