Installing Debian as command-line only, Braille only

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Tue Apr 7 06:08:17 UTC 2015

John J. Boyer wrote:
> When doing a custom install of debian, what options should be chosen (or
> not) to avoid installing any GUI components. I also plan to not
> install the acessibility components and to install brlttty when
> finished.

> Is this a good plan? Of course, some GUI components may be installed
> when other packages are added.

Hi John,

One way to avoid cruft is to set the variables in
/etc/apt/apt.conf to install only minimum dependencies.

APT:Install-Recommends "0";
APT:Install-Suggests "0";

You might not be able to start with that, but it
could be done following a minimal install, before you
pull in higher-level apps.

HTH,

Joel

> Thanks,
> John
>
> --
> John J. Boyer; President,
> AbilitiesSoft, Inc.
> http://www.abilitiessoft.org
> Madison, Wisconsin USA
> We develop software for people with disabilities which is abailable at
> no cost.

Joel Roth