changing soundcards

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Aug 11 11:02:08 UTC 2015

Have you installed the alsa-utils package?  While aumix works OK for ALSA,
it is not a good choice and I think was abandoned upstream.  It uses OSS
which is the old sound system, so using it also requires the oss-compat
package.  OSS stands for the open sound system and is still used on the BSD
platform, but hasn't been widely used on Linux for many years now.  Either
amixer or alsamixer are better choices.  I'm not sure why alsa-utils wasn't
installed automatically.  Also, as you found out, aumix doesn't work with
Pulse at all, so it'll be useless in Gnome.  All ALSA programs (aplay,
alsamixer, amixer) let you pick what card to use.  The modification to the
configuration is a one-time fix to not disable your USB sound device.