changing soundcards

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Aug 11 14:13:39 UTC 2015

Kristoffer Gustafsson writes:
> Hi.
> I don't really want to modify config files.

Well ...

> I just want to change soundcard.
> For example if I've got two in the computer I want to choose wich card to use.

aplay -D plughw:[your.device.of.choice] [your.audio.file]

There are similar options for ecasound, mplayer, others, e.g.

mplayer -ao alsa:device=plughw=4.0

PS: Yes, I do have 4 audio devices on my main machine.

> I'll look into this. Last time I had my machine running I got no amixer at all.

If you don't have amixer, you should install it. It's a standard tool
from the alsa suite, unlike aumix, as I've previously pointed out.

PPS: Another way to find your cards:

aplay -l |grep card

However, if there are two USB cards, the above won't tell you which is
which.

Janina