is ubuntu good?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Aug 19 08:50:40 UTC 2015

As mentioned, yes, you can run console apps as root with Orca and they speak
fine.  Try this:

1. Press Alt-F2.
2. Type "sudo -i"
3. Press Tab twice to get to a checkbox to run in terminal.  Check the box.
4. Press Enter.

If that doesn't work, something else is going on, but I've used that several
times and it works fine here.  After you install MATE to your hard drive,
you'll have to enter your user password before you get an interactive shell.

Why are you running gparted?  The installer will resize and adjust your
partitions.  You shouldn't need to do that manually unless you want to.  In
my case, I had an old Debian installation on /dev/sda2 which it happily
overwrote once I told it to do so.  I didn't have to do anything by hand.