a *very* odd question especially for me.

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 23 14:33:02 UTC 2015

Karen,

My opinion is that you have zero chance of succeeding at this endeavor
the way you are going about it.

The tasks you describe are far too difficult and complicated to be
accomplished at the linux command line by someone who is not a major
expert in linux itself. I doubt even the most expert linux user could do
what you describe but it certainly cannot be done without gaining a
great deal of experience and expertise.  How many musicians do you think
create their music by connecting to a linux machine via telnet and using
the command line? How many developers do you think are focusing their
efforts on making that easy?

Essentially what you've said below is that you have this really
complicated set of tasks you want to perform in linux but you don't want
to actually learn how to use linux or even set up a complete linux
system. It cannot be done. You are just setting yourself up for more
frustration.

You need to change 3 things about your approach:
1. Understand that this is not going to be easy. It will take some time
and a great deal of effort on your part.
2. Be willing to forget about things you are already comfortable with.
3. Be willing to do some research on your own, primarily googling.

If you aren't willing to do those things, your chance of succeeding at
this endeavor is essentially zero.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim