Reading Kindle books on Linux

Sam Hartman hartmans at mit.edu
Tue Sep 15 14:24:06 UTC 2015

    John> It's not true that using linux at the command line is a always
    John> a choice. For one thing, command line linux runs on a lot more
    John> platforms than does the graphical user interface.

>From the prospective of US accessibility law, I don't think that
matters.
You're not required to make apps and services accessible on arbitrary
hardware.

    John> And for
    John> someone who is deaf/blind, the command line interface has
    John> tremendous advantages.

I don't have enough information to agree or disagree here.

    John> When you say all these solutions are available for the GUI, I
    John> am guessing you mean they work with speech, right? How is the
    John> braille support?

You can certainly get the same information that would be spoken sent to
 a braille display.

It's been the late 1980's since I've used a braille interface for
interacting with a computer enough to have thoughts about what would
work well and what would not.
For me speech was so much more efficient that I stopped using braille
after that point.
Based on my memory of what worked well and poorly with braille
interfaces, and based on my understanding of the documented capabilities
of the technology, I think it would work reasonably well.  You'd want to
map some of the common navigation commands to things you could enter
from your braille display.  That's supported.  At that point, yeah, I
think the kindle app would work similarly to reading any braille book.