Digital rights (was: kindle)

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 15 15:34:15 UTC 2015

For pete's sake, Sam, would you please stop saying I (or anyone) said
that Amazon has an ethical obligation to write a command line app for
linux. This is the second time I've pointed out that I haven't said that
and I don't think anyone else has either.

What I've said is that it is not unethical to hack DRM on a kindle book
so you *can* read it on your linux command line platform. It's not
ethical for Amazon to keep me from doing that.

It is absolutely NOT reasonable for Amazon to say you have to buy their
computer to read their books. Holy cow, have you ever heard of a public
library?  Do you think a publisher should be able to say a public
library cannot carry their books?

I think it's very easy for you to say these things but if the world you
envision actually existed, you wouldn't like it very much. People with
this libertarian attitude don't understand the huge amount of hard work
that has been done on their behalf by some very dedicated people over
many years. If everybody thought the way you did, there'd be no speakup,
brltty, or orca. Android and IOS wouldn't have screen readers. Bookshare
wouldn't exist. Public libraries wouldn't exist.

John Heim, jheim at math.wisc.edu, skype:john.g.heim