Concerning Debian and ArchLinux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Aug 2 04:21:26 UTC 2016

Hi, John:

I've recently moved from Fedora to Arch. My reason is that rpmfusion had
stopped building the kernel staging modules required for Speakup. As you
don't need Speakup, that wouldn't be a concern to you. Aside from that
Fedora is essentially updatable just like Debian and Arch. I used yum,
and more recently dnf to take myself from Fedora 19 to 20, to 21, etc.,
without ever reinstalling. I did run into issues once over tex files
where an upgrade path wasn't well defined, but I was able to handle
those readily.

I am generally well pleased with my Arch installation--now on two
machines.  You need to know that you can have braille support during an
Arch installation. Look at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TalkingArch

If you do go for Arch, I strongly recommend following the Arch
Beginner's Guide, which I found very helpful even though I've been a
Linux user for a couple decades:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/beginners'_guide

hth

Janina